Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

1.29.2011

like a tree

there are many things that i wanted for myself. some have evolved as the years go by - as i get older, as my situation changes, as i learn more about life and my place in it.

there were things that i thought i had to do and just the idea of them disheartened me because they were not what i wanted for my life.

because of these thoughts Sherif lent me his copy of Letters to a Young Poet by Rainer Maria Rilke and it was just the thing i needed at the time. i felt as if the author was speaking to me when he wrote:

"being an artist means 
not numbering and counting
but ripening like a tree,
which doesn't force it's sap 
and stands confidently in the storms of spring
not afraid that afterward summer may not come.
it does come.
but it comes only to those who are patient, 
who are there as if eternity lays before them, 
so unconcernedly silent and vast."

 - Rainer Maria Rilke

No comments: